Saturday, June 19, 2010

Positive Influence

"It takes tremendous discipline to control the influence, the power you have over other people's lives." — Clint Eastwood

I find that sometimes it can be difficult to know when I am struggling in the right direction. I need to remember that I am struggling with my recovery, against my disease, my addiction. Sometimes I forget who the enemy is, and who my allies are. When it comes to picking my allies, I do have a choice. I have to use caution and discretion when exercising this power, this power of choice. The people I surround myself with are the bastions of my recovery, my front line defense against relapse. Especially while I am still fairly early in my recovery. I must never forget how susceptible I still am to the influence of those around me, whether overt or covert.

"A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked." -- Bernard Meltzer.



influence - n. the action or process of producing effects on the actions, behavior, opinions, etc., of another or others: v. to move or impel (a person) to some action:

It is interesting to note that the the origin of influence can be found in astrology, and the perceived influence of the cosmos on my character and destiny. It was a force which had some control over me, but which I could not touch, see or in any way harness or control. All I could really do was try and "go with the flow" and not fight it. Influence can be thought of as a force that I may struggle against, especially if I feel compelled towards a direction or action I am not willing to go in.

force - force - n. power to influence, affect, or control; mental or moral strength; v. to compel, constrain, or oblige (oneself or someone) to do something

"Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another. " — Napoleon Hill

However I may find aid and support from the positive influence of the strong, good people in my life. Those people who care about me, desire to help me reach my true potential and have the experience strength and hope to be able to actually offer me real solutions. I can find the power I need to move forward in a constructive manner by allowing myself to be guided by the positive influence of these allies in my struggles, and I can then overcome some of the obstacles which seemed insurmountable on my own.

positive - emphasizing what is laudable, hopeful, or to the good; constructive: confident in opinion or assertion; fully assured: showing or expressing approval or agreement; favorable:

For myself, positive is not one side of a coin, it is the entire coin. It is about moving forward, growing. Even so-called "negative" experiences offer me opportunities for growth and learning. When I remember to look, I can always find the good in anyone or anything. I just need to actually look.

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. — Thomas Jefferson








No comments:

Post a Comment