Friday, May 14, 2010

Patient Practice

“Practice is everything. This is often misquoted as Practice makes perfect." — Periander

An important part of my day is my daily forms. In the mornings (upon awakening) and in the evening (right before bed), and occasionally somewhere in between, I practice my forms. Empty hand movement sets I learned a couple decades ago. In Wing Chun, the style of Kung Fu that I practice, the entire art is contained in three forms. At this point in my life, I have been practicing them for so long, that doing so has become an ingrained habit that would take more work than it's worth to stop. Besides, I still learn from them so why would I want to?



"Habits are safer than rules; you don't have to watch them. And you don't have to keep them either. They keep you." — Frank Crane

Not all of my habits are bad for me. As I learn more about living a Life of Balance, one in which I make my own choices (instead of them making themselves), I appreciate more and more the many skills I learned from Wing Chun. Especially in the area of habits and their creation. A large part of my day is spent habitually, with not nearly as much control as I would like to think I have. As I continue to learn and practice mindfulness, I become more aware of how little control I truly have over my life. This awareness allows me the opportunity to exercise true choice in my daily life. Which allows me to choose which habits I wish to have. Getting rid of all my habits and having no habits at all is unrealistic, if not impossible. Not to mention unnecessary and inefficient.

practice - repeated performance or systematic exercise for the purpose of acquiring skill or proficiency; habitual or customary performance
habit - an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary

Habits can be useful and productive. When I become really good at something, something I do regularly, it is because I have been doing it for so long (practicing) that it has become a habit. New habits are created through practice. Old habits are changed through awareness. Either way requires work.

awareness - having knowledge; conscious; cognizant; mindful; perception
work - exertion or effort directed to produce or accomplish something


For practice to be of any use or benefit, I must be patient, and keep practicing, knowing that eventually it will pay off. Faith is useful here, however, if I am following in the path others have laid down before me, there is proof present. Which is why I think patience is more important than faith when it comes to practicing something I have been taught by someone who knows what they are doing. Faith helps though.

patient - bearing provocation, annoyance, misfortune, delay, hardship, pain, etc., with fortitude and calm and without complaint, anger, or the like
faith - belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

With enough practice, any behavior or skill-set can become a habit. However, it does take awareness and work. Both of which can become habits - awareness and work. I think the habits of work and awareness are great substitutes for the habits of laziness, procrastination and complacency. Learning to work and be aware I feel are the most important habits I will ever learn. With them I can learn (or unlearn) any other. Without them, I am in for a tough time.

laziness - averse or disinclined to work, activity, or exertion
procrastination - to defer action; delay
complacency - a feeling of quiet pleasure or security, often while unaware of some potential danger, defect, or the like


Here's a little video I made to check out the camera on my phone. It is of myself practicing the Bil Jee form from Wing Chun. I think this is pretty much the way I learned it, except I don't t-step anymore (or at least not very often). Although over twenty years, a lot of variation can creep in without even realizing it, so I can't be absolutely certain. At the very least, the scenery is pretty :)

A quick bj in the park

"Sow an act and you reap a habit. Sow a habit and you reap a character. Sow a character and you reap a destiny." — Charles Reade

No comments:

Post a Comment