Monday, May 10, 2010

A Positive Balance

"We must learn our limits. We are all something, but none of us are everything." — Blaise Pascal


One of the most important priorities for me right now in my recovery is balance. In the sense of feeling calm and centered, and also in the sense of having all the ingredients of my life in the proper proportions. In how I spend my time and energy. I have found that the more clear I am on my priorities and intentions, the easier it is for me to know what to do to work towards a healthier sense of balance. However, it seems that the more clear in my mind these goals appear, the more life throws at my way to challenge me in achieving equilibrium. It's as if the destination becomes both more clear and further away at the same time.



I read somewhere that when you decide to make a commitment to setting aside a set amount of time to do something important (for yourself or someone else) the universe will conspire against you and challenge your resolve. Writing on this blog has been a perfect example of this at work in my own life. It has taught me the importance of closely examining my priorities and intentions. Once I do I can plan my days accordingly. This allows me to respond to life on a daily basis in a manner which benefits me first. I can't be of much use to anyone else if I wear myself down, or worse. It's like the old saying about saving a drowning man. It does nobody any good if you both drown.

I found the following definitions very helpful for learning how to balance my life, at least for today.

balance - a state of equilibrium or equipoise; mental steadiness or emotional stability; habit of calm behavior, judgment, etc.

equilibrium - mental or emotional balance; equanimity:
equanimity - The quality of being calm and even-tempered; composure.
equipoise - an equal distribution of weight; even balance; equilibrium



priorities - something given special attention

intention - an act or instance of determining mentally upon some action or result.
intend - direct one's attention to

In order to maintain equanimity we must carefully (and mindfully) evaluate our priorities and set our intentions accordingly. At least that is how it seems for myself.

“One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. Which road do I take? she asked. Where do you want to go? was his response. I don't know, Alice answered. Then, said the cat, it doesn't matter.” -- Lewis Carroll

No comments:

Post a Comment