Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Teaching Gambit

Sometiimes my feelings can be hurt by the words of another. If that other is someone really important to me than inurring myself against such pain can be very difficult. But this should not be a very large problem when the other is just an acquaintance, or a stranger.

When my feelings are hurt by a statement it is probably because I have grown to attached to my opinions. My opinions are not my self. There exceptions of course. It is perfectly fine to be upset because of bad news (you're fired, there's been an accident, etc.) but not because someone has labelled me or disagreed with one of my opinions.



It can be the role of a "teacher" to break this attachment. Many spiritual teachers use this approach when teaching a student how to find themself (or "the truth" or just how to "think" clearly and objectively). A friend of mine told me "in chess we call this 'the Gambit'".

My understanding of "the Gambit" is to sacrifice something small in order to capture something more valuable ("opening move meant to gain advantage"). The teacher does not offer anything to "gain advantage". Although in offering to share their wisdom and experience the teacher sacrifices their time and energy for the sake of improving someone else' life (and by extension the world in general) we could call the act of teaching a "gambit". Also, the origin of the term comes from an Italian expression "dare il gambetto" - to put a leg forward in order to trip someone - which was sort of what I was talking about.

sacrifice - the surrender or destruction of something prized or desirable for the sake of something considered as having a higher or more pressing claim.

What I am talking about requires no real sacrifice on the part of the teacher. That which I give willingly (and joyfully) is no sacrifice. I will admit though that setting the student up in order to trip them is an essential tool for teaching someone how to find their own answers - what the true role of the teacher really is. And how to know when the answer actually is true - as well as when it is no longer true!

I am thinking here mostly in regards to the teaching of martial arts, but I believe this to be true for teaching any skill. I consider thinking to be a teachable skill at which some people are better than others (both thinking and traching). Merely stuffing facts (or other data) into my head is not learning. That is indoctrination (by those the define the facts or doctrine).


http://ferenczyram.blogspot.com - my personal blog
http://ferenczypre.blogspot.com/ - webOS & Palm
http://ferenczymu.blogspot.com/ - youtube mashups

-- Sent from my palm Pre

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to read a blog written by one who enjoys writing. You have an interesting way of presenting your subject, Ferenczy. Looking forward to reading the others....

    ReplyDelete