Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Fruit of Balance

now what?
Balance, peace, and joy are the fruit of a successful life. It starts with recognizing your talents and finding ways to serve others by using them. - Thomas Kinkade

I really like that quote. It jarred my perspective on balance. I had always thought of it as a prerequisite for a successful life - the root, not the fruit. I can see now that balance is an end more than a means (not that it ever "ends").

Which becomes increasingly difficult to achieve and maintain as I set my sights higher. I know I have been struggling to maintain my "balance" over the past week. So many new variables introduced into the daily rhythm of my life. Death & destruction, new teeth, back in school (after nearly 20 years), and a new laptop have all contributed towards making this a challenging week.




Luckily I really enjoy writing, even when I really have no clue what I am trying to say (like right now). I have a few essays on the go right now but I need to regain a litle more focus before I can finish them off and get them up. That is my main purpose with this current meandering little letter. I just need to finish something vaguely coherent and hope it get's everything flowing properly. Sometimes it's easier to find the centre with a lighter load.

A key concept in the martial art I practise is "rootedness". To be rooted (to sink the root) is to be balanced and centred. It is to be both immovable and unstoppable. It is a key principal which I try to incorporate into my life physically, mentally and spiritually.

By thinking of balance as the fruit instead of the root reminds me that I can never really have or use balance. I can only strive for it. For myself I feel the most successful when I am in pursuit of my bliss. Which is service through meaningful self-expression.

A man who is a master of patience is master of everything else. - George Savile 





http://ferenczyram.blogspot.com - my personal blog
http://ferenczypre.blogspot.com/ - webOS & Palm
http://ferenczymu.blogspot.com/ - youtube mashups

-- Sent from my palm Pre

No comments:

Post a Comment