Sunday, September 5, 2010

Why I Love My (crappy) Job

As I continue to decline "better" employment opportunities, I can't help but appreciate the job I already have. I could easily argue that it is shittiest job I have ever had. Extremely low pay. Long hours. Dealing with too many difficult people. Cleaning toilets. And plenty more excuses to hate my job if I want to look for them.


I am by nature an optimist. So instead I see all the reasons why this is the perfect job for me at this point in my life. I work the front desk in a SRO (single room occupancy) apartment building in Vancouvers "notorious" downtown eastside (DTES). Most of the residents are active drug users. Many suffer from various (diagnosed and undiagnosed) mental illness. They are not always the least difficult people to deal with. They are people though, and people everywhere can pose difficulties at the best of times, in the "best" jobs. I have enjoyed getting to know all the tenants as well as my co-workers, even if they may annoy me on occasion. I'm sure i've annoyed them at times too.

I really can't bitch about the hours since I could have easily said no at any time. Which really drove home for me how much I must like my job. My current home is only temporary. It was supposed to be only a couple weeks, but provided I actually move into my apt Oct 1, it will have been over three months. I have been camping in a sense since mid July thinking I would be more permanent soon enough. Which is why work is more comfortable than home.

Especially since I don't have a computer (other than the phone I am writing on right now). I am very grateful for the opportunity this job provides me to catch up on my writing, and my reading. I just need more discipline staying focussed. It is so easy to get distracted online. I am getting better.






http://ferenczyram.blogspot.com

-- Sent from my palm Pre

No comments:

Post a Comment